7 situatii cand folosim Should in limba Engleza
Verbul modal Should este folosit in limba Engleza, destul de des pentru a exprima parerea, opinia, sfatul sau regretul pentru greseli facute in trecut dar si probabilitatea.
De fapt, Should este un verb auxiliar modal. Asta inseamna ca nu are sens singur. Nu se poate folosi singur si nu are inteles singur, decat in prezenta unui verb la infinitiv sau infinitiv perfect.
Cand folosim verbul modal Should?
1. Should is often used to express opinion:
The government should focus more on the real matters that affect people’s lives not on politics.
They should be more aware of pollution causing activities.
2. Should in intrebari
Cum traducem acest verb modal in limba romana? Cand ar trebui folosim Should?
When should we use ”should”? Well, Ive just used it in a question. So, we we use should in questions.
Tocmai am pus o intrebare. Cand ar trebui sa folosim Should? In intrebari la care ne asteptam sa primim raspuns cu sens de sfat sau parere. Ex.
- Should we invite or neighbours to our party?
You are having a party and you are thinking that they are nice. You get on very well with them. So you ask your family: Do you think the will feel alright here?
Raspunsul la intrebarea formulata cu Should poate fi, formulat tot cu acelasi verb modal:
- We should invite them over to our party. Yeah, I think we should call them and ask them.
3. Pentru a exprima sfatul
Putem folosi ”Should” pentru a da sfaturi celorlalti, cand vrem sa spunem care este cel mai bun lucru sau cea mai buna modalitate, metoda, varianta pentru cineva. Este de obicei folosit pentru persoana a doua.
We can use ”Should” when expressing or giving advice to other people, that is when you are telling someone what is the right/correct thing to do.Ex.
- You should read the text carefully before answering the questions.
You have a a listening and comprehension exercise. You are supposed to read a text and answer some questions. In order to answer correctly and need to understand the text.
- You should eat more vegetables to add more fiber to your diet.
4. In limbaj formal cu sensul ”Daca”
Folosim verbul modal Should in situatii formale, oficiale. In formal situations you can use should instead of IF.
Aici are sensul pe care il are si If – Daca. ex.
- Should you wish to sit for this exam, you can use this book.
Cand folosesti un limbaj formal, oficial, poti spune:
- If you want to sit for this exam you can use this book to prepare yourself.
5. Pentru a exprima probabilitatea
Folosim ”Should” pentru a exprima Probabilitatea. We use should to express probability:
- There should be some pizza left in the fridge. You are not sure. There may be some pizza left in.
We use should to talk about the amount of time needed for someone to get from point A t point B. If you go by car it will take you 2 hours to get there. You should be there earlier.
- You should arrive at 3 pm if you take the train.
Nu exista certitudine 100% de aceea folosim acest verb modal in aceasta situatie.
You can’t be 100% sure so you use ”should”.
Normally it should take one this amount of time to get there. If nothing happens in the meantime.
We are not sure. If everything went well, that should be the case.
There’s every possibility that you will be there in two hours.
6. Obligatia morala, personala
Poti exprima obligatia personala, obligatia morala, folosind Should in urmatoarele situatii:
- You should be in school early.
- You shouldn’t be late for school.
- I should pay more attention to this problem.
- They should use less plastic material to avoid pollution.
7. Pentru a exprima greseli din trecut
Poti exprima regretul fata de greseli facute in trecut folosind Should +have +participiul trecut ( -ed sau forma a 3 a a verbului)
Folosim ”Should” cand vorbim depsre greseli din trecut pe care le regretam:
- If you should have taken the train. you didn’t. So, you were late for the meeting.
It’s too late to change anything.
I was offered a good position in the company but I turned it down. Now I am sorry about that. I should have accepted the position.
Someone made you a really good offer. You didn’t take it. You are sorry but there’s nothing you can do about it now. We say: You should have taken that offer.
- I should have been there. It means I wasn’t there. I wish I had but It is too late now.
Dupa cum poti vedea: ”Should” este urmat de have +participiul trecut al verbului.
Iti reamintesc ca participiul trecut se formeaza de la infinitivul verbului +terminatia -ed daca verbul este regulat. In cazul verbelor neregulate, vom folosi forma a 3 a. ex.
- a fi: be- was/were- been. I should have been more careful.
- a avea: have-had-had . I should have had the opportunity.
Verbul Should la negativ
Should in negative sentences Should not or shouldn’t.
- You shouldn’t waste your time watching TV. You have a lot of homework to do.
Putem sa exprimam acelasi lucru folosind un alt verb modal: Would ex.
- It would be better for you not to waste your time watching TV.
- I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to waste your time watching TV.
You can use should when you think about what you think it is the right thing to do, especially for other people.
- You shouldn’t eat so much meat! It’s not good for your health.
Poti sa exprimi sfatul folosind should atat la forma afirmativa cat si la forma negativa. La forma negativa, ”should not” poate exprima si dezaprobarea.
- You shouldn’t speak like that. You shouldn’t use that language here.
You can express advice using either the affirmative should or the negative shouldn’t.
You can notice that I’m giving you advice about what you should or you should not do.
Exercitii cu verbul modal Should
Completi spatiile libere folosind should, should have, should not, respectiv shouldn’t:
1. You ….. read as many books as you can in your spare time.
2.The government …. find solutions for the social problems in the poor communities.
3.You … eat more vegetable. you need more fiber in your daily diet.
4.They …. be here in about two hours. The train arrives at 3 PM.
5. I ….(tell) her the truth then. She would have been happier to know the truth.
6. I’m so sorry I turned down their offer. I ….( take) their offer.
7. You …. take the bus to go to the centre. It’s cheaper than the taxi.
8. They … be more careful when speaking in public about this sensible issue.
9. You …. work so hard every day. You have so tired lately.
10. I think you … ask them before making any decision. I’m sure they would appreciate if you asked them first.